There are nine categories; five of these are based on the five food groups in the Australian Guide to Healthy Eating (AGHE) and include:
- Grain foods (cereals) mostly wholegrain and/or high cereal fibre varieties
- Vegetables and legumes/beans
- Milk, yoghurt, cheese and/or their alternatives (mostly reduced fat)
- Lean meat and poultry, fish, eggs, tofu, nuts and seeds and legumes/beans.
An additional four categories have been added. These are:
- Mixed foods: hot and cold meals/dishes
- Miscellaneous foods and snacks
- Fats, oils, dips and sauces.
Each of these categories has a number of sub-categories. Not all sub-categories currently have products listed. This does not mean that there are not products available in the market place that would fit the nutrient criteria but simply that none have been registered.
If you wish to know whether a particular product that is not registered meets the registration criteria, please contact your State or Territory Canteen Association or Network.
To search the FOCiS registered product database make a selection from the drop down menu below. You can search by the manufacturer’s name or by category of product. Once into the main category, click to the sub-category that best fits your query. You can also search the register by company name, e.g. Jackson’s Foods. All foods registered under this company, regardless of category will be shown.
A handy PDF version of the April FOCiS Buyers Guide is located here for downloading.
The database also shows whether products are green or amber. This traffic light system enables the practical identification of food and drinks suitable for school canteens. (effective 1 July 2017)
Search the product database below