For information about the minimum standards required in schools in your state or territory speak with your Department of Education and/or Health and for training options see Food Standards Australia and New Zealand www.foodstandards.gov.au
Basic Food safety and Hygiene training
All staff and volunteers preparing and/or serving food should have basic knowledge of the five main elements to preparing safe food:
- Food allergens
- Personal hygiene
- Food handling and storage
- Pest control.
Online food safety courses that cover these 5 elements are:
- Foodsafe Online, by Environmental Health Australia
This course can be accessed via your local council for free; via the Environmental Health Australia website for a fee or though the Canteen Association in your State or territory
- Food Safety First
Offering a variety of packages and courses.
Food safety and hygiene – new standards
A new National Food Safety Standard, 3.2.2A – Food Safety Management Tools has been introduced across Australia. Part of the new standard requires school canteens to appoint a food safety supervisor. The new Standard is effective 8 December 2023.
A food safety supervisor must undergo training by a registered training organisation and complete competency in the SITSS00069 – Food Safety Supervision Skill Set:
- SITXFSA005 – Use hygienic practices for food safety
- SITXFSA006 – Participate in safe food handling practices.
The key components of the course are:
- Introduction to Food Safety
- Food Contamination Hazards and Prevention
- Personal Hygiene and Responsibilities for Food Handlers
- Safe Food Handling and Storage
- Food Safety Programs.
A number of states and territories are facilitating this training specific for Canteens: